Gateway to Dentistry
A dental school immersion program for college students
The Gateway to Dentistry program introduces college students to a wide range of career options associated with the dental profession. Participants are engaged in challenging and informative hands on dental experiences. Gateway to Dentistry is a five-day interactive internship that affords each participant exposure to the various aspects of dentistry.
- Introduction to student life
- Hands on clinical techniques
- Introduction to dental specialties
- Preclinical laboratory procedures
- Financial aid projections
- Admissions process & counseling
- Research opportunities and much more!
The program is open to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students and qualified recent graduates.
If you are not certain of your career options or even if you have decided on dentistry as a profession, "Gateway to Dentistry" will assist you in the critical decision making process with regard to future educational and career planning.
The Dental School is located in the University Heights Section of Newark, NJ. It is situated on a beautiful urban campus and is an integral component of the Rutgers Higher Education System. With New York City just ten miles away, the opportunity exists for you to experience Broadway theaters, world-renowned museums, and top-name entertainment.
Maritza Camacho, Admissions Coordinator
Phone: (973) 972-1645
Monday, January 8, 2024 – Friday, January 12, 2024 (dates are subject to change)
(Deadline for receipt of application and all documentation: October 13, 2023 an email with our decision will be sent out on or about November 10, 2023.)
Wednesday, June 3, 2024 – Friday, June 7, 2024 (dates are subject to change)
(Deadline for receipt of application and all documentation: January 16, 2024 an email with our decision will be sent out on or about March 11, 2024.)
Criteria For Consideration Of Acceptance To Gateway To Dentistry*
- Good academic standing.
- Currently enrolled in or recent college graduate.
- Have taken some science courses
- In-state and out-of-state residents are eligible to apply.
- Students who have been accepted or applied to any dental school are not eligible to participate in the Gateway to Dentistry Program
Procedure For Applying
- Submit an online application form and the required documentation:
- a letter of recommendation from your Pre-Dental advisor or any basic science professor
- a current official transcript from all undergraduate college attended
- Submit a non-refundable application fee of $50.00 (payable to RSDM) by USMail only to:
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
110 Bergen St., B829, Newark, NJ 07103
- Photo identification or valid driver’s license
- All participants must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Non-vaccinated participants and/or waivers will not be accepted.
Gateway Participants Must
- Be responsible for all personal expenses including:
- Carry their own health insurance
- Wear sneakers at all times during the program
- Long hair must be pulled back
- Long or artificial nails are not allowed
- Submit $170.00 for equipment, materials, and identification badge required by the University (payable to RSDM) once accepted into the program.
All Documents Must be Forwarded to
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
Office of Admissions
110 Bergen St., B829
Newark, NJ 07103
*No applications will be considered unless all documentation is received by established deadlines and criteria are met.
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Will Supply Applicants With
- All dental materials
- Surgical scrub attire
- Infection control materials
- Parking tags
*Please be advised that participation in the program does not imply or guarantee acceptance in the academic program of the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine