RSDM Valentines

Love is all around, including RSDM. For Valentine’s Day, we talked with two RSDM couples: associate dean for admissions Rosa Chaviano-Moran and assistant professor of diagnostic sciences John Moran; and patient representative Tayri Leon and lab and facilities coordinator Angel Rodriguez. 

High School Sweethearts: Rosa Chaviano-Moran and John Moran

How did you and Dr. Moran meet?

I met him as a 17-year-old high school student. He had graduated from college. It was the senior weekend, and he came for a softball game. That was in May of 1974. We started dating. At the time, I had been accepted to Seton Hall University and wanted to become a dentist. I’m a daughter of a dentist. Jack, at the time, was an EMT, and he was applying to medical school. And I had said to him, “Have you ever thought about going to dental school?” And that's where the joke begins because little did I know, I was going to be involved in admissions. I always joke that he was my first recruit.

And you were also in school.

The couple at John Moran's dental school graduation in 1979.

My and my dad's plan was I would go to dental school, but we wanted to get married, and we both couldn’t go to school at the same time. I ended up graduating from college in three years, so I could help him pay for dental school. I was a biology major, and I was lucky enough to get a position in the cardiovascular department at Schering-Plough.

When did you get married?

He went through dental school nonstop. It was the last year that the program was only three years. There were no breaks. He had a week off, and that's when we got married. It was March 11 of 1978. The rest is history. We are going to celebrate our 45 years. He graduated in 1979. I was still doing cardiovascular research, but I never gave up on my dream of becoming a dentist. So, after he got settled in private practice—and he also worked for a Federally Qualified Dental Center—I decided to quit my job and started dental school here in 1982, five years after I finished college. But in the meantime, we had a daughter, so I came to dental school with an 18-month-old. In my sophomore year, I gave birth to our son. Jack supported me through the whole process. We have three children and four grandchildren now.

Rosa Chaviano-Moran with her parents during her dental school graduation in 1986.

Did you stay on RSDM after you graduate?

I went to private practice with my dad. I also worked for the Federally Qualified Dental Center. When he left, I took his job. So, we kind of followed each other. I came here in 2000 as a volunteer faculty. Dr. Kim Fenesy, vice dean, was my classmate. She said to me, “Oh, Rosa, you would be so good with students,” and that’s why I volunteered. I became a faculty member in 2001 and am going on for 22 years.

And Dr. Moran?

He started in November 2014. And life came full circle for both of us, especially now that we are both faculty here. It's a very special place for us because we raised our family, and we have successful careers thanks to the city of Newark. We are very privileged and honored to have become dentists at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine.

Love at First Sight: Tayri Leon and Angel Rodriguez

Tell us how you met.

Tayri: We met, oh my God, in 2008. Believe it or not, we met in a lounge. He went out with his group of friends, and I went out with mine. But our friends knew each other. And, ever since that night, we have been inseparable.

Angel Rodriguez and Tayri Leon walked into the church on a hot, rainy summer day. "But coming out, we're just blinded by the sun," she said, "and people are throwing rice and everything."

When did you get married?

Angel: June 24th, 2011.

Almost 12 years. What’s your secret to a happy marriage?

Tayri: The most important thing is don't go to sleep angry. If you're upset about something, talk it out. If it's too upsetting, then give each other the space to calm down, and talk about it later. We do a lot of talking to better understand each other. You wouldn’t want to hold on to that animosity because it just builds up.

Angel: But we're not perfect.

Tayri: It's always a work in progress. And I always tell even my kids: There's no such thing as perfect, but there is perfect for you.

How many kids do you have?

Tayri: Three. The oldest one, Bryana, is 21 and goes to Rutgers in New Brunswick. Sebastian is 16. And then Lucas is 10.

How did you end up in the same workplace?

Angel: She took this job about six years ago. I was always working in New York. I used to make a lot of money over there. I was traveling 25 hours a week just to go to work. I could not handle it anymore. And she saw this position open. … I've been here for now over a year and a month. I feel like I got my life back honestly, versus where I was before I was high-strung and not at peace. She's basically been like a single mom forever because I've been working.

Tayri: I had to handle everything with the kids, and I was also doing school. He would go to work when we were all asleep and come back when we were about to go to sleep. So, we barely saw each other.

Angel: Now, we see each other all the time.

Tayri: At least we're in different departments. I tell him, my lunchtime is my lunchtime.

How has it been working together at Rutgers?

Angel: Rutgers gives you the work-life balance. I've worked in retail, and I worked for other companies, and I've never got this balance. And it’s great to have the opportunity to actually talk to my wife face-to-face versus over the phone.

Tayri: And he understands when I'm having a good or bad day … because he knows the environment and he knows what I do and vice versa. Whereas before, we really didn't know what was going on in our day.

Any plans for Valentine’s Day?

Angel: Having three kids doesn’t leave much time. We try our best to do all we can. I mostly cook. I'll make her lobster or steak or something. If we stay home, I'll try to make the best of it.

Tayri: I prefer that to going out to a crowded restaurant where you could barely get a reservation. I'd rather just be home having a meal that I know will be delicious because he does it really well. … He's so thoughtful. He usually gives me flowers for no reason. So, we don't just celebrate Valentine's on Valentine's.