New RSDM Program Introduces Dentists to Research

Photo of Ayushi Gupta Ayushi Gupta at RSDM

Ayushi Gupta had personal reasons to go into dentistry. She grew up witnessing her grandmother’s daily struggle with ill-fitted dentures and her mother’s frequent dentist trips because of poorly mineralized teeth. She wanted to help them.

During dental school, she became attuned to dental issues in her community, too. She learned how India has few dental practitioners in villages and high levels of oral cancer due to tobacco chewing. In her hometown, Punjab, she noticed fluoride-rich waters caused dental discoloration.

“I would tell myself that I needed to work hard and find out more about these issues,” she said. “That is what made me want to go into research.”

Her first introduction happened through RSDM’s Preceptorship Program in Basic/Clinical Research. Established last year, the program offers either a five-and-a-half-month or 11-month research experience to dentists. They can do hands-on research alongside RSDM experts, attend lectures from across the curriculum, and even partake in preparation of manuscripts.

“This [program] rose as a result of interest expressed by many aspiring international dentists to be involved in research,” said Associate Dean for Research and Professor Narayanan Ramasubbu, the program’s director. He noted that research experience can set foreign-trained dentists apart in the admissions process of U.S. programs. “In the first year, we had four students, and one of them succeeded in being admitted to a dental school.”

Gupta is one of those dentists aspiring to launch a career in America. “I wish to be the first woman in my family to study in America,” she said.

Before coming to RSDM, she was a clinician for four years in India. “My career has been steadily progressing,” said Gupta. She eyed an upward trajectory and aspired to be a health care leader. To that end, she decided pivoting her career into research could help.

At RSDM, she participated in lectures from a variety of departments, learning about radiology to orofacial pain. She completed modules on best practices for conducting research. She put those to practice at Assistant Professor of Oral Biology Kabilan Velliyagounder’s lab. She conducted an experiment related to neem toothpaste and the control of dental caries. She also looked at how iron deficiency anemia impacts teeth.

“The opportunity to have more research exposure and be able to participate in it actively comes with the benefit of gaining more confidence and experience as a dentist,” said Gupta. She also believes dentists have a responsibility to contribute to the public good through research.

Moreover, she also volunteered at the Rutgers Pantry. “I tried to make the most of [my time],” she said. “My professors have been immensely supportive. … I could never have imagined coming to the U.S. and getting this kind of exposure that Rutgers has given me.”

While here, she began studying for the boards with the plan of getting her license and applying for a residency at RSDM.

“My end goal is to have my own practice,” she said, “at the same time volunteer my extra time to community service.”