Special Care Center
The Delta Dental of NJ Special Care Clinic provides comprehensive dental treatment to those patients over 12 years of age for whom existing options at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine may not be adequate.
Types of special healthcare needs that may require care provided in this setting include:
- Developmental/intellectual disabilities
- Acquired cognitive disabilities, including dementia
- Progressive neurologic conditions
- Complex physical disabilities
- Patients unable to transfer from a wheelchair or gurney
Complexity of Dental Needs – Patients who are medically or behaviorally unable to tolerate care in the clinic setting may be scheduled for care in the operating room.
To schedule an appointment, please call 973-972-4242.
Who are the Providers?
- General dentists with training, experience, and commitment to patients with special needs
- A dental hygienist with experience and commitment to patients with special needs
- Dental students and residents of the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine under the supervision of Special Care faculty.
Services We Provide
- Examination and X-rays
- Teeth cleaning
- Esthetic dentistry, tooth whitening, veneers
- Periodontal (gum) treatment
- Oral surgery and extractions
- Evaluations of oral lesions
- Bite guards
What To Bring To Your First Appointment
- Fully completed patient registration packet
- Five points of identification for the patient
- List of all medications, herbals, and supplements being taken
- List of all healthcare professionals involved in the patient’s care
- List of any behavioral concerns
- Recent medical specialist or hospital reports
What Can I Expect At My First Visit?
After registering, the patient and caregiver will be escorted to the treatment operatory. Medical and dental history will be reviewed, and the dentist will perform an oral exam and take any X-rays deemed necessary, then discuss treatment findings and plan of care. Most often, active dental treatment will commence at the next appointment.
Fees And Payment Options
We accept most major dental insurance. Call 973-972-4242 for more information.
Special Care Treatment Center
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
110 Bergen Street
Newark, NJ 07103