My line of research focuses on the detection and distribution of dental caries, Body Mass Index (BMI) status as an associated factor in the development of dental caries, and survival rate of dental procedures in children. Our initial findings on the detection and distribution of dental caries have revealed that the prevalence of dental caries depends on the type of method used in the detection of caries, and that its distribution on the occlusal surface in primary and permanent teeth vary according to the zone of the occlusal surface examined. Understanding the different factors associated with dental caries may allow for the application of early preventive treatment as well as the identification of groups at risk for developing dental caries early in life. In addition to my line of basic research, my work in the clinical setting is related to identifying cases that our post-doctoral students are treating, and guiding them with the use of different clinical techniques that might allow for solving the dental problem that a pediatric patient is developing. The goal in some of these cases is to publish the outcome of the dental treatment performed.
BA in Dentistry, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima-Peru
DDS, New York University
MD, Public Health, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima-Peru
MD, in Dentistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Comparative Study of the Sensitivity, Specificity, Agreement and Caries Prevalence of Three Systems Used in the Detection of Dental Caries in Children.
- Prevalence and Distribution of Dental Caries among Five Zones of the Occlusal Surface of Posterior Teeth According to Age and Gender in Children.
- The Distribution and Prevalence of Dental Caries among Five Zones of the Occlusal Surface in Posterior Teeth in Children.
- Bilateral Dental Caries Distribution among Homologous Posterior Teeth in Children
- Survival Rate of Dental Procedures Performed on Healthy Children vs Children with Special Needs under General Anesthesia: A Retrospective, Descriptive and Comparative Study.
- BMI and its Relationship with the Severity of Occlusal Caries in Children.
- Caceda JH. The Use of Resin-based Composite Restorations in Pulpotomized Primary Molars. J Dent Child 2007; 74:146-9.
- Montalvan E, Vaidyanathan TK, Shey Z, Janal MN, Caceda JH: The Shear Bond Strength of Acetone and Ethanol-based Bonding Agents to Bleached Teeth. Pediatr Dent 2006; 28:531-36.
- Gostanian HV, Shey Z, Kasinathan Ch, Caceda JH, Janal MN: An in Vitro Evaluation of the Effect of Sealant Characteristics on Laser Fluorescence for Caries Detection. Pediatr Dent 2006; 28:445-50.
- Caceda JH, Creath C, Thomas JP, Thornton JB: Unilateral fusion of primary molars with the presence of a succedaneous supernumerary tooth. Pediatr Dent 1994;16:53-55.
- Alvarez JO, Caceda JH, Whoolley TW, Carley KW, Baiocchi N, Caravedo L and Navia JM. A Longitudinal study of dental caries in the primary teeth of children who suffered from infant malnutrition. J Den Res 1993;72:1573-76.
- Alvarez JO, Eguren JC, Caceda JH, Navia JM. The effect of nutritional status on the age distribution of dental caries in the primary teeth. J Den Res 1990;69(9):1564-66.
- Caceda JH: Nutricion y Salud Oral. Revista Niños. 1990;11:27-30.
- Alvarez JO, Lewis CA, Saman C, Caceda JH, Montalvo J, Figueroa ML, Izquierdo J, Caravedo L and Navia JM. Chronic malnutrition Dental caries and tooth exfoliation in Peruvian children aged 3-9 year, Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48:368-72.
- Alvarez JO, Lewis CE, Navia JM, Caceda JH, Saman C, Montalvo J, Figueroa ML, Izquierdo J, and Caravedo L: Chronic malnutrition and deciduous dental caries in Peruvian children. The Lancet 1987; April 4: 802-803.
- Caceda JH and Montalvo J. Efecto de los Enjuagatorios con fluoruro de sodio sobre la flora estreptocócica de la placa bacteriana en niños de 6 a 9 años de edad. Revista de la Academia de Estomatología del Perú 1983;36: 24-33