Meet the RSDM Alumni Association Board

Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Alumni Association (RSDMAA) organizes events throughout the year to bring together current and future alumni. Let's get to know the board members and learn why they decided to be involved.

Immediate Past President Eileen Hoskin, Class of 1984

Dr Eileen Hoskin

How and when did you get involved with RSDMAA?

Since I am a double alum of Rutgers, I thought it would only be fitting to get involved with alumni engagement at the dental school level.

Why did you want to be a part of the Alumni Association? Why was that important for you?

The Rutgers dental school community as a whole is extremely important. After attending school for four years together as a class, it is often a difficult transition to go off on your own to practice. Being part of a community that can consult with and support each other is so much less isolating. This is something that we, as the Alumni Association, are still in the process of developing.  The pandemic has stymied this initiative a bit, but we are breaking through this and hoping to continue the effort.

Why should current/future alums join you?

No matter how close you are with friends and family, they do not entirely understand some of the challenges that we as dentists face. It is extremely important to continue our relationships with one another to bolster each other in times of stress and need.

Anything else you want to add?

The phrase of paying it forward is extremely apt especially currently when dental education is so costly. Established dentists should consider mentoring students with career and financial aid. Alumni should consider scholarships in their yearly giving.

President Donald Lapine, Class of 1997

Dr Donald Lapine

I became involved with RSDMAA about four years ago when my mentor and friend, Eileen Hoskin, asked me to become involved. She had become a board member and thought it could be fun and effective if we sat on the board together. She was right! Through her leadership, we navigated some difficult years through the pandemic. We managed to adapt and make a vibrant Alumni Association through online continuing education for alumni and Zoom meetings. When we were able to start having in-person events again, we were overjoyed.

I wanted to become involved in helping my friend and mentor with her agenda and, of course, give back to my wonderful alma mater. Because of my training and education, I have been fortunate enough to have had two careers in my life, a successful private dental practice and now a full-time teaching position in the Department of Restorative Dentistry. I consider myself lucky and want to do whatever I can to help the next generation of dentists love this profession and their school as much as I do. 

Future alums should join us because without the alumni, there is no Alumni Association. My board and I have great plans for fun social events keeping young alumni engaged with their school and friends as well as getting more seasoned alumni back involved with a school and friends they miss. We hope to implement an opportunity for alumni to mentor and/or be mentored. We would like to implement real change and make a difference in the lives of our alumni. For that, we need participation. Let's have fun together and in the process, make a difference. 

President-Elect Valerie Rico, Class of 1988

Dr Valerie Rico

I’m a member of the class of 1988. I became an officer two years ago with the goal of joining with colleagues whom I admire and who were already board members to support the Alumni Association,

Dentistry has been very good to me! It’s provided me with two rewarding careers, first in private practice, and now in academia. I feel I owe part of my success and satisfaction with the dental profession to the education I received at my alma mater and view my involvement as a way to give back.

The Alumni Association provides an opportunity to reconnect and see old classmates and friends and to make new ones all connected to the dental school. Supporting the Alumni Association also supports the future of dentistry by providing programming and financial assistance to students at RSDM

Anything else you want to add?

We are always looking for ideas and to involve other alums—please reach out if you have anything to share or would like to become more involved!

Vice President Ryan Maher, Class of 1997

Dr Ryan Maher

I met Joan Liljegren a few years ago and she gave me a tour of the new dental clinic. I felt reconnected at that point and decided to be more involved. I am very happy I made that decision, and I have my great friend Joan whom I can thank for this opportunity

I wanted to be a part of the Alumni Association because I saw the members who are involved and knew this was something special. I had not heard much about alumni events since I graduated and I knew if I was a part of this team, we could build something special together to reconnect with our peers in fun, unique ways

Current and future alums should join because it costs you nothing but some of your time. Also, the value that you receive from your peers is priceless. There is power in numbers, the more alums we have, the more powerful we will be as a group.

Treasurer Peter Paradiso, Class of 2016

Dr Peter Paradiso

I’ve been involved with the alumni since I graduated in 2016.  However, due to moving and residencies, I haven’t been able to get more involved until recently. 

Being a part of the Alumni Association is important to me because of the friendships and mentorships I have formed since I started dental school and became a part of the dental profession.  Throughout my short career, I have been providing so many resources and advice from alumni that I want to help continue that and provide the same for future young alumni.

As a profession, dentistry can get lonely.  We often work with our staff and don’t often get to spend time with other dentists.  Having opportunities to get together helps ground us and feel a part of the community.

Anything else you want to add?

Reconnecting with classmates both past and present helps prevent us from experiencing burnout.  It can also inspire us to find more passion in our profession and give back.

Secretary Eric Reitmeyer, Class of 2022

Dr Eric Reitmeyer

My mentors while I was a student, Dr. Hoskin and Dr. Lapine, reached out to me about getting involved with the Alumni Association when I started my Pediatric dental residency in the summer of 2022.

Now that I have graduated, I’ve realized how easy it is to lose connections with the school and fellow classmates. The Alumni Association helps keep people connected. As someone who is interested in academia, staying connected to Rutgers is very important to me.

Great networking opportunities and fun events!

If you are interested in getting involved with RSDM Alumni Association, you can reach out to any officers you know or send an email to alumni@sdm.rutgers.edu