Rafael Benoliel, BDS
Languages: English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Hebrew (fluent)
Dr Benoliel is the current Director at the Center for Orofacial Pain and Temporomandibular Disorders at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. He also serves as the Associate Dean for Research.
Dr Benoliel completed his dental training with honors and distinction at the University of London, in the United Kingdom. Following 2 years of training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery he moved to Israel, to the Dental Faculty at Hadassah- the Hebrew University. He completed formal, state recognized, Oral Medicine training and subsequently concentrated on orofacial pain. His training in orofacial pain was under the mentorship of Dr Yair Sharav. In 1997-1998 he served as Research Associate at the Unit of Neuronal Gene Expression at the NIDCR, NIH, Bethesda under the tutorship of Dr Michael Iadarola. During 2003-2010 Dr. Benoliel served as Chair of the Department of Oral Medicine, in the Dental Faculty at Hadassah-Hebrew University. He joined the Dental School at Rutgers in June 2013.
Dr Benoliel has published extensively on the subject of orofacial pain with over 120 papers and chapters. He co-edited the award winning textbook "Orofacial Pain and Headache' published in 2008 and now in its second edition. Dr Benoliel lectures extensively in national and international meetings. He serves on the editorial board of several leading journals and has served in many scientific committees including the Classification Committees of the International Headache Society and the Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders.
Sharav Y, Benoliel R: 2008, Orofacial Pain & Headache. Edinburgh. Mosby-Elsevier.
Highly commended and shortlisted by the British Medical Association for the prize as the best book published in 2008-9 in the "Medical" section.
- Translated into Spanish by Elsevier 2010.
Selected Chapters in Collections
- Benoliel R, Pertes R, Eliav E: 2009. Orofacial Pain. In: Current Therapy in Pain. Ed: Smith H. Saunders-Elsevier, Philadelphia. pp 121-136.
- Benoliel R. Neurovascular Craniofacial and Orofacial Pain: 2012. In: Tracey I (Ed). Refresher Courses, 14th World Congress on Pain. IASP Press, Seattle. pp 239-249.
- Benoliel R, Eliav E: (2013) Neuropathic Orofacial Pain. In: De Leeuw, R., Klasser GD (Eds), Orofacial Pain: Guidelines for assessment, diagnosis and management. Quintessence International. (Official publication of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain).
- Svensson P, Eliav E, Benoliel R: (2013). Quantitative sensory testing for pain responsiveness. In; Laskin D, Greene C (Eds). Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders: Bridging the Gap Between Advances in Basic Research and Clinical Patient Management. Quintessence.
- Benoliel R, Svensson P, Eliav E: (2013). The pathophysiology of muscle pain. In; Laskin D, Greene C (Eds). Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders: Bridging the Gap Between Advances in Basic Research and Clinical Patient Management. Quintessence.
- Eliav E, Benoliel R: (2013). What do human experimental studies inform us about orofacial pain mechanisms? Neuropathic pain. In Sessle B (Ed), Orofacial Pain, IASP Press, Seattle.
- Benoliel R, Ananthan S, Gomes Zagury J, Kahn J, Eliav E: (2013). Orofacial Pain. In: Glick M (Eds). Burket's Oral Medicine. BC Decker Inc. Hamilton.
Selected Research Articles
- Benoliel RPI, Sharav YC. 1998. Trigeminal neuralgia with lacrimation or SUNCT? Cephalalgia 18: 85-90.
- Benoliel RPI, Eliav EPI, Mannes AJC, Caudle RMC, Leeman SC, Iadarola MJPI. 1999. Actions of intrathecal diphtheria toxin-substance P related fusion protein on models of persistent pain. Pain 79: 243-253.
- Benoliel RPI, Tanaka MC, Caudle RC, Iadarola MPI. 2000. Colocalization of NMDA-NR1 subunit receptors and substance P receptors in rat spinal cord. Neurosci Letts 291: 61-64.
- Benoliel RPI, Eliav EPI, Tal MPI. 2001. No sympathetic nerve sprouting in rat trigeminal ganglion following painful and non-painful infraorbital nerve neuropathy. Neurosci Letts 297: 151-154.
- Benoliel RPI, Eliav EC, Iadarola MJPI. 2001. Neuropeptide Y levels in trigeminal ganglion following infraorbital nerve chronic constriction injury: Is there correlation to sensory parameters? Pain 91: 111-121.
- Caudle RMPI, Mannes AJC, Benoliel RC, Eliav EC, Iadarola MJPI. 2001. Intrathecally administered cholera toxin blocks allodynia and hyperalgesia in persistent pain models. J Pain 2: 118-127.
- Benoliel RPI, Eliav EPI, Tal MC. 2002. Strain-dependent modification of neuropathic pain behaviour in the rat hindpaw by a priming painful trigeminal nerve injury. Pain 97: 203-212.
- Benoliel RPI, Wilensky AS, Tal MC, Eliav EPI. 2002. Application of a pro-inflammatory agent to the orbital portion of the rat infraorbital nerve induces changes indicative of trigeminal pain. Pain 99:567-578.
- Benoliel RPI, Birenboim RC, Regev EC, Eliav EPI. 2005. Neurosensory changes in the infraorbital nerve following zygomatic fractures. Oral Surg 99: 657-65.
- Benoliel RPI, Tal MC, Eliav EC. 2006. Effects of topiramate on the chronic constriction injury model in the rat. J Pain. 7(12): 878-883.
- Eliav EPI, Gracely RHC, Nahlieli OC, Benoliel RPI. 2007. Evidence for chorda tympani dysfunction in burning mouth syndrome patients. J Am Dent Assoc. 138(5):628-633.
- Benoliel RPI, Birman NC, Eliav EC, Sharav YPI. 2008, The International Headache Society classification: Accurate diagnosis of orofacial pain? Cephalalgia, 28; 752–762.
- Eliav EPI, Benoliel RPI, Herzberg UC, Kalladka MC, Tal MPI. 2009. The role of IL-6 and IL-1β in painful perineural inflammatory neuritis. Brain, Behavior and Immunity. 23 (4): 474-484.
- Benoliel RPI, Eliav EC, Sharav YPI. 2009. Self-reports of pain-related awakenings in persistent orofacial pain patients. J Orofac Pain, 23(4); 330-338.
- Benoliel RPI, Eliav EC, Sharav YPI. 2010. Classification of chronic orofacial pain: applicability of chronic headache criteria. Oral Surg 110:729-737.
- Zagury JGPI, Eliav EPI, Heir GMC, Nasri-Heir CC, Ananthan SC, Pertes RC, Sharav YC, Benoliel RPI. 2011. Prolonged gingival cold allodynia a novel finding in patients with atypical odontalgia. Oral Surg ;111:312-319.
- Noma NPI, Khan JC, Chen I-FC, Markman SC, Benoliel RC, Hadlaq EC, Eliav EPI. 2011. Interleukin-17 levels in rat models of nerve damage and neuropathic pain. Neurosci Letts, 493: 86-91.
- Nasri-Heir CPI, Zagury JGC, Ananthan SC, Teich SC, Benoliel RPI, Heir GMPI, Eliav EPI. 2011. The role of sensory input of the chorda tympani nerve and the number of fungiform papillae in Burning Mouth Syndrome. Oral Surg 112:65-72.
- Ziccardi VBPI, Dragoo JC, Eliav EPI, Benoliel RPI. 2012. Comparison of current perception threshold electrical testing to clinical sensory testing for lingual nerve injuries. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 70(2): 289-294.
- Benoliel RPI, Zadik EPI, Eliav EC, Sharav YC. 2012. Peripheral painful traumatic trigeminal neuropathy: clinical features in 91 cases. J Orofac Pain; 26(1): 49-58.
- Plaza-Villegas FJPI, Heir GC, Markman SC, Khan JC, Noma NC, Benoliel RC, Patel YC, Eliav EPI. 2012. Topical pregabalin and diclofenac for the treatment of neuropathic orofacial pain in rats. Oral Surg 114:449-456.
- Haviv Y, Zadik Y, Sharav Y, Benoliel R. Painful traumatic trigeminal neuropathy: An open study on the pharmacotherapeutic response to stepped treatment. J Orofac Pain; In Press.
- Lewis MAOPI, Sankar VPI, De Laat API, Benoliel RPI. 2007. Management of neuropathic orofacial pain. Oral Surg, 103(suppl 1): S32.e1-e24.
- Patton LLPI, Siegel MAPI, Benoliel RPI, De Laat API. 2007. Management of Burning Mouth Syndrome: Systematic review and management Recommendations. Oral Surg, 103 (suppl 1): S39.e1-e13.
- Benoliel RPI, Epstein JPI, Eliav EC Jurevic RC Elad SPI. 2007. Orofacial pain in cancer Part I: Mechanisms. J Dent Res 86(6): 491-505 (Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine).
- Epstein JBPI, Elad SPI, Eliav EC Jurevic RC Benoliel RPI. 2007. Orofacial pain in cancer Part II: Clinical Perspectives and Management. J Dent Res 86(6): 506-518 (Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine).
- Benoliel RPI, Svensson PPI, Heir GC Sirois DC Zakrzewska JC Oke-Nwosu JC Torres S. RC Greenberg MC Klasser GC Katz JC Eliav EPI. 2011. Persistent orofacial muscle pain. Oral Dis 17 (Suppl. 1), 23–41.
- Benoliel RPI, Kahn JC Eliav EPI<: 2012. Peripheral painful traumatic trigeminal neuropathies. Oral Dis. 18(4): 317-32.>
- Benoliel R. Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalgias (TACs). 2012. Br J Pain. 6(3): 106-123.
- Benoliel R, Eliav E. 2013. Primary Headaches. Dental Clinics of North America. 57(3): 513-539.