Founded as Seton Hall College of Medicine and Dentistry in 1956, the institution was acquired by the State of New Jersey, renamed the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry in 1965, and relocated to Newark in 1976. Initially there were independent departments of Operative Dentistry, Removable Prosthodontics and Fixed Prosthodontics, that were subsequently merged to create the Department of Restorative Dentistry. Presently, in addition to the disciplines of prosthodontics and operative dentistry, there is a Division of Postgraduate Prosthodontics. The Postgraduate Program in Prosthodontics began in 1978 to provide postdoctoral education for dentists wishing to prepare for specialized practice. The School of Dental Medicine was transferred to Rutgers on July 1, 2013, upon the dissolution of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ). The Department is chaired by Dr. Steven Morgano and the Postgraduate program is managed under the direction of Dr. Louis Dipede. Clinical expertise is strongly emphasized and the program prepares the student for successful attainment of certification by the American Board of Prosthodontics. The program offers a Certificate in Prosthodontics and a Master of Dental Science degree. The School of Dental Medicine awards the Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree and offers continuing education courses to practicing dentists. The Department of Restorative Dentistry is one of eleven departments and the largest department in the School of Dental Medicine (SDM). It is the only dental school in the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) component of Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. The Rutgers School of Dental Medicine in New Jersey services approximately 125,000 patients per year.