Postgraduate Program in Periodontics
The Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Periodontics department has a nationally recognized periodontal residency program with a world renowned and highly skilled faculty. In addition, we are an integral part of RSDM’s faculty practice and Rutgers Health University Dental Associates, which has offices in New Brunswick and Newark.
The program follows the guidelines established by the American Academy of Periodontology for the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. It has full accreditation from the Commission. The program was initiated in 1968 and the length of the program is 34 months. Four students per year are accepted into this program.
Admission to the ProgramApplicants seeking admission to the Postgraduate Periodontic Program at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Graduate from a United States or Canadian dental school or a dental school that provides equivalent curriculum content and clinical experience.
- Successfully complete Part I of the National Dental Board at the time of application.
- Proficiency in English reading, writing and speaking demonstrated on the TOFEL examination.
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) or equivalent, or a cumulative ranking in the top 50 percent of the applicant dental school graduating class.
- Interview with the program director.
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which should be from a periodontal faculty member or periodontist familiar with your previous clinical and/or didactic periodontal accomplishments.
- The deadline for applications is August 1st.
Specific questions with regard to the admissions requirements or any other aspect of the Postgraduate Program in Periodontics at RSDM should be addressed to the Program Director:
Dr. Emil Cappetta
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine
Department of Periodontics
110 Bergen Street, Room C991
Newark, NJ 07101-1709